November 18, 2008

Panhandling Solution

Downtown Spokane is never boring: great restaurants, excellent shopping, easily accessible services and colorful people have made my eight years as a Downtown resident and wage earner interesting, entertaining and generally fun. But I am concerned that despite all of our progress the number of aggressive panhandlers and what I term professional loiterers has increased to the point that our community’s safety, image and continued economic vitality are threatened.

I am continually barraged with aggressive demands for money regardless of what time of day or which street I’m on as I walk to and from my downtown office. I am also frequently forced to step over or around people camping in my building’s parking lot just outside the backdoor. And I have on at least two occasions called 911 because I genuinely feared for my or someone else’s safety.

There is at present no recourse for citizens or business owners to prevent people from aggressively soliciting money or from blocking the streets and sidewalks other than asking them to move on---requests generally refuse in the most vulgar of ways.

There is, however, a partial solution to this problem.

The City Council is considering five Pedestrian Interference ordinances that will have a positive impact on the quality and character of our Downtown’s street-life and businesses if they are passed intact:

They would help alleviate aggressive panhandling by giving police and business owners’ authority to move people away from building entrances.
The measures would prevent people from lying down in public rights of way such as sidewalks and alleys.
First Amendment rights are fully preserved.
They differentiate between freedom of expression and inappropriate behavior and strike a balance between the two.
Will continue to allow street performers and artisans who obtain permission.

We are all working diligently to continue making Downtown Spokane a safe, clean and vibrant environment which drives our community and region. Having the right tools at our disposal will ensure our continued success.

No comments: